If you own an iPhone 14 and are tired of pesky spam calls, you’re not alone. Fortunately, Apple has incorporated several features to help users block unwanted calls. To block spam calls, you need to: identify the number, go to your recent calls, click on the ‘i’ icon next to the number, scroll down, and click ‘Block this Caller.’ Additionally, you can enable ‘Silence Unknown Callers’ from your phone settings and report spam calls through your carrier or third-party apps. By following these steps, you can significantly reduce the number of spam calls you receive.
After completing the action of blocking spam calls, you will notice a significant decrease in the number of unwanted calls. Blocked callers will be directly sent to voicemail, and their calls or texts won’t show up in your recent list. However, they can still leave a voicemail, but you won’t get a notification. For ‘Silence Unknown Callers,’ calls from unknown numbers will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and displayed in the recent calls list.
You can also check out this video about how to block a number on an iPhone for more information.
Dealing with spam calls is a common issue for smartphone users, and the iPhone 14 is no exception. These unwanted calls can range from irritating telemarketing calls to potential scams. Apple provides built-in features that allow users to block these calls and maintain their peace of mind. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of how to effectively block spam calls on your iPhone 14.
Process to Block Spam Calls
- Step 1: Identify the Spam Call First, you need to recognize which calls are spam. Sometimes, it’s obvious, but other times, it might be a number that looks local or familiar. Keep an eye out for calls that hang up quickly or have automated messages.
- Step 2: Go to Recent Calls Open the ‘Phone’ app on your iPhone 14 and go to the ‘Recents’ tab. Here, you’ll see a list of all the calls you’ve received.
- Step 3: Click on ‘i’ Icon Find the number you want to block and click on the ‘i’ icon next to it. This will open the contact details for that number.
- Step 4: Scroll Down and Block Scroll down until you see the option ‘Block this Caller’ and tap on it. Confirm your choice, and you’ve successfully blocked the spam call.
- Step 5: Enable Silence Unknown Callers For a more comprehensive solution, go to ‘Settings,’ scroll down to ‘Phone,’ and enable ‘Silence Unknown Callers.’ This will silence calls from numbers not in your contacts, mail, or messages.
Why Block Spam Calls?
Blocking spam calls on your iPhone 14 is more than just avoiding annoyance; it’s about protecting your personal information. Spam calls can be fraudulent, aiming to steal your personal information or money. By blocking these calls, you safeguard yourself against potential scams and maintain your privacy.
Pros of Blocking Spam Calls
- Increased Privacy: Blocking spam calls helps to protect your personal information from potential scammers.
- Peace of Mind: You can relax knowing that you’re less likely to be disturbed by unwanted calls.
- More Control: You have control over who can reach you, which is especially important during work hours or personal time.
Cons of Blocking Spam Calls
- May Block Important Calls: If you enable ‘Silence Unknown Callers,’ there’s a risk of missing calls from numbers not saved in your contacts, like a doctor’s office or a job offer.
- Not 100% Effective: Some spam callers use different numbers for each call, making it hard to block them completely.
Video About Blocking a Number on IPhone
It’s worth noting that while blocking spam calls can significantly reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive, it might not stop them completely. Some spammers use a technique called ‘spoofing’ to change the way their number appears on your caller ID. In these cases, reporting the calls to your carrier or using a third-party spam call blocking app might be more effective.
- Recognize the spam call.
- Open the ‘Phone’ app and go to ‘Recents.’
- Find the number and click the ‘i’ icon.
- Scroll down and select ‘Block this Caller.’
- Enable ‘Silence Unknown Callers’ in phone settings.
- Will I be notified when a blocked number tries to call me? No, you will not receive any notifications, but the call will appear in your recent calls list.
- Can I unblock a number if I change my mind? Yes, you can unblock a number at any time through the contact details or settings.
- Does ‘Silence Unknown Callers’ block texts as well? No, it only silences calls. Texts from unknown numbers will still come through.
- Is there a way to block all spam calls completely? While you can significantly reduce the number of spam calls, it’s challenging to block them completely due to number spoofing.
- Can I report spam calls? Yes, you can report spam calls to your carrier, and some third-party apps also offer this feature.
Spam calls can be a significant nuisance, but with the built-in features of the iPhone 14, you have the power to block these calls and protect your privacy. The process is straightforward and can lead to a quieter, more secure phone experience. Remember, staying vigilant and proactive is key to keeping those pesky spam calls at bay.
Matthew Rice has been working in the IT Field for almost two decades. He has been assisting coworkers and friends with their phones, computers, and other electronic devices. In addition to his IT roles, Matthew also enjoys freelancing and writing about tech topics, specifically tech tutorials about iPhones and Microsoft Office.